Sunday, March 2, 2014

Mission Report #31 - Hospitality Part II

Hebrews 13:2  Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.

When I think of hospitality, I automatically think of food and drink offered to a drop in visitor.  Today, as always, the offering of even a small portion of a small cache of food, can speak volumes about the person doing the giving.  A thank you and a small taste is enough to convey appreciation and respect, as much for the offering as for the person offering.  Saturday's gift of food to us, though offered not from one's want, was nevertheless, the same kind offering that conveys friendship and hospitality.

It was time for Jane, Brenda, and I to return home from our trip to Charlene's (see Part I) and a stop in Dyersburg for a quick meal was in order before we arrived home in time to get to evening Mass.  Rachel, Wes' wife, had walked us outside and as I thanked her yet again for the extra care she had provided for us, she then offered to reopen the cafe (though it was long passed closed).  She could offer a simple sandwich and chips and beverages.  

Main Room - Click to make me bigger

Not to put too fine a point on it but, I was stunned.  Rachel's offer was so generous and so completely surprising.  I think, at some point, I had to lift my jaw to close my mouth.  But, she is drawing me along, claiming it's not trouble at all to put together some sandwiches and soon Jane and Brenda were following us in.  

What a treat as we not only enjoyed a delicious chicken salad sandwich but I also enjoyed the best fruit tea I've ever had.  I decided if the recipe was in the cafe cook book, I was buying a copy of that book.  And, it was.  There was also the divine chicken salad recipe and innumerable other luscious goodies to explore and make.  

As we ate, Rachel told us the story of the building that houses the cafe, a one time church that was moved to the property.  The Hales Point Baptist Church was originally on the Mississippi River, holding its first service in 1950.  Sunday school rooms were added in 1952.  In 1998, Ronnie and Charlene Roberts purchased the building and moved it to its current location.  It was moved in three section and transformed by a year of renovation, many gallons of paints and hard work.  The kitchen was added as part of the renovation and the old church was recreated and became Just Divine Tea Room.  I think this is an apt name.

Banquet Room - Click to make me bigger
The beautiful space, above, used to be a garden area producing not only flowers, but all the vegetables they used.  As awareness of their business grew, special event parties just naturally evolved.  The garden area was eventually converted into this beautiful banquet room.

Rachel and Wes (and by extension, their whole family) were the epitome of hospitality and were a fountain of information about the history of the area.  For anyone in southwest Tennessee, be sure to treat yourself to a lovely couple of hours enjoying the grounds, the cafe (open til 2 pm), and kind hospitality.

Hosts Rachel and Wes Cunningham
Other Postcard from Paradise, such as this one, can be found HERE.

11 comments:

Marie said...

So cute. Reminds of the Tea House you and Don took me to. Which was the best surprise ever. I can't wait for you to come home, Miss Don and Annie time so much. Could use a Don and Annie hug right now.

carol l mck said...

Looks like a great place ~ Hope weather is not too bad for you ~ Happy Week to you ~
artmusedog and carol
www.acreativeharbor.com

Annie Jeffries said...

Marie, consider yourself massively hugged.

Carol, weather is nasty. We are gassing up, just in case we lose power. Icy storm is visiting and very threatening.

Jenny Woolf said...

It sounds like a lovely place both for the body and the soul.

Sue Seibert said...

Thinking about you and the weather today. It's 20 degrees here now with light snow.

trailbee said...

Sounds wonderful. Weather aside, I'm so glad you and Don had a chance to make this voyage.

Nonnie said...

The cafe is so warm-looking and inviting! I love the verse you quoted. Back in the days of Roy Rogers' movies, his wife wrote a book pertaining to that very verse. I wish you safe traveling until you are back home.

rebecca said...

dear annie,
thank you for warming all our hearts with your kind story. i love your journey of the open heart. you inspire.
xo

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Stories like this restore my faltering faith in humankind!

Golden Journey Fruit

Diane AZ said...

The banquet room looks so inviting, what a wonderful place. The cafe cookbook will be a sweet reminder of the caring hospitality that Rachel and Wes provided. :)

alicia said...

Truly enjoying your journey Annie and Don,
May our Lord continue to Bless you as our Blessed Mother is ever present with her Son on your travels. So Beautiful and quaint the places you visited thus far; So natural and simple; so spiritual so peaceful. Wow, what wonderful experiences you are sharing to warm our hearts and give us the sense of kindness in so many lovely people along the way.

Post a Comment