Sitting at Granddaddy’s Deli, here in C'ville, sipping coffee, tapping out this document, and musing on the past 24 hours. Living in California, we are used to living with earthquakes. It’s so normal that, for many of us, it’s just background noise in our lives. Occasionally it calls attention to itself, but for the most part, no one notices the little wiggles and shakes of whatever fault line one is nearest to.
I've met so many people outside of California that wouldn't dream of living there because the idea of experiencing an earthquake is terrifying. They are sneaky things; they give no warning. The effects can be devastating. I, personally, have felt some good shakes but the only evidence around the house has been the stopped pendulum clock. I call those near misses.
And, I suppose, last night and experiencing my first tornado warning (not watch, but warning) could be called a near miss too. Several things happened to me last night for the first time.
1. The warning (that means there was a sighting)
2. Prepping the safe room (a re-enforced closet in the middle of the house)
3. Pillows to cover our heads (whilst we are IN the closet)
4. Shoes (in case we end up outside - which doesn't bear thinking about)
5. The watch (a downgrade from a warning)
6. A heavy weight rising from my chest
7. My brain starting to fire correctly again (it was doing a lot of stuttering)
8. My breathing started to regularize
9. I slept through the night and woke to sunshine and calm winds
The only good things I can say about tornado warnings is that friends from near and far are calling, checking in, updating, and praying. The phone was not quiet for a couple of hours as the funnel twisted and turned and eventually headed off to Tennessee and was last seeing heading towards Kentucky.
As a local just said as he headed out the door at Granddaddy's - "What the hell is going on with winter? Last week it was ice and snow; this week we are dodging a tornado."
Well, yeah. That's a big "pretty much" and a Ten-Four.
When I heard that the tornado had turned, I was swamped with an enormous sense of relief (see 7. and 8. above). There is nothing more confusing than thanking God for salvation from the storm and then praying for the safety of those in it's new path. No matter where they go, if they land, someone is going to be effected and usually its not pretty.
So, in the balance, if it's earthquakes or tornadoes, I think I'll stick with what I know. I doubt if I'll ever live in a tornado zone and I'll be glad of it. But, now, I have a real appreciation of what the people in such areas can go through. You don't need to be in a tornado to get it. All it takes is a warning and the relief that follows when the big funnel in the sky turns away.
3 comments:
Scary, isn't it???? Tornados are worse than some disasters (like hurricanes) I think since some of them give no warning at all. Luckily, with technology, there are now usually warnings. BUT--it doesn't keep us from being scared....
We had that severe storm come through our area about 1 am night before last.... BUT--we were lucky in that it wasn't nearly as severe as they had said it might be.
We use an interior closet in our home also for that...
Welcome to our area, Annie. HA HA
Hugs,
Betsy
I wanted to live in OK but never near the center of the state, because I knew of the devastation of Edmond, not once, but twice. Interesting place. Glad you stayed warm and dry. :)
Nature can be scary. I was very nearly caught in a hurricane when I had a deadline to catch a plane back to England. It too diverted at the last minute. Phew!
Post a Comment